This awarded grant programme supports since 2009 professional journalists who have good ideas for cross-border investigations and for research on European topics. The stories must be relevant to European target groups.
Cross-border teams of professional journalists can apply for a grant to cover working time and/or expenses for their investigation.
Next to a grant, teams can also apply for a mentor to provide assistance with either the focus of the investigation or the need for competences in a specific skill.
Teams of journalists from at least two countries in geographical Europe are eligible to apply.
When relevant for the story, team members from elsewhere can be accepted too.
In 2022 there is a total grant budget of €200,000 to distribute over four application rounds.
For the period 2021-2024, the programme is supported by nine foundations:
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation
- Open Society Foundations
- Adessium Foundation
- Limelight Foundation
- Vereniging Veronica
- Fritt Ord
- King Baudouin Foundation
- Fondation Puech
18 August 2022
For this grant programme there are 4 application rounds scheduled in 2022.
- The third application deadline will be Thursday 18 August 2022 at 12 pm CEST (noon Brussels time).
- The fourth application deadline will be Thursday 20 October 2022 at 12 pm CEST (noon Brussels time).
How to apply?
1. Before you start, please consult the grant details, where you can find the rules, eligibility and assessment criteria, timing etc.
2. After a one-time registration with your email address, you can access our online application form. You can freely navigate through the form to see which information you need to provide in your application. This includes:
- personal details of the team members
- information about the intended investigation
- information about the dissemination of your story
- a detailed budget
You will be asked to upload the following documents:
- copy of passport
- letter(s) of intent from (a) professional news outlet(s)
- a detailed budget (please use our budget template)
One team member can start a draft application. He or she can then invite multiple people to collaborate on the online draft. The online application-in-progress can be saved and further edited at any time.
Take a look at our FAQ. Next, we're always happy to discuss your project ideas or to answer any questions you might have about your application. So don't hesitate to contact us via phone or mail, or to make an appointment for a video call.