This grant and mentoring programme aims to address the shortage of independent journalism by providing grants to investigative journalism projects in Europe and encouraging cross-border collaboration.
This award-winning European Cross-border Grant programme (running since 2009) supports cross-border teams of professional journalists and/or news outlets who have good ideas for cross-border investigations and for research on European topics. The stories must be relevant to European target groups.
These are projects that have great news value and depth, and at the same time are original, innovative and time-consuming, and would not be realised without financial support. Projects can include cross-border research, networking between colleagues, and established and innovative investigative methods.
Journalismfund Europe supports costs related to journalistic research for all media. This can include travel, translation, access to pay-databases or simply time to research. We do not support fixed costs such as office costs, investments such as cameras or computers or production costs.
Next to a grant, teams can also apply for a mentor to provide assistance with either the focus of the investigation or the need for competences in a specific skill.
Independent Journalists and/or News Outlets
Cross-border teams of at least two professional journalists and/or independent news outlets from at least two different countries in Europe are eligible to apply. At least 80% of the requested budget should go to journalists/media from EU countries.
When relevant for the story, team members from elsewhere can be accepted too.
In 2024 the total grant budget is €900,000 to distribute over four application rounds (€225,000 per call).
For the period 2024-2025, the programme will be supported by 2 foundations and the European Union:
- Limelight Foundation
- Vereniging Veronica
- The European Union
25 April 2024
For this grant programme there are 4 application rounds scheduled in 2024.
- The first deadline will be Thursday 25 April 2024 at 1pm CET
- The second deadline will be Thursday 27 June 2024 at 1 pm CEST
- The third deadline will be Thursday 26 September 2024 at 1 pm CEST
- The fourth deadline will be Thursday 7 November 2024 at 1 pm CEST
How to apply?
1. Before you start, please consult the grant details, where you can find the rules, eligibility and assessment criteria, timing etc.
2. Use your email address for one-time registration and access our application form (under construction) online. Freely navigate through the online form to see which information you need to provide in your application. This includes:
- Team members’ details, company details, ...
- Information about the intended investigation,
- Information about the intended publication channels, including letters of intent from news outlets,
- And a detailed budget, according to our budget template.
You will also be asked to upload additional administrative documents.
One team member can start a draft application. S/he can then invite multiple people to collaborate on the online draft. The online application-in-progress can be saved and further edited at any time.
Take a look at our FAQ. Next, we're always happy to discuss your project ideas or to answer any questions you might have about your application. Therefore, please don't hesitate to contact us via phone or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or we can meet via a video call, so feel free to make an appointment. Check out our pre-application session schedules and make a reservation now.
You can subscribe to our upcoming newsletter and follow us on our social media to keep updated.