This awarded grant programme supports since 2009 professional journalists who have good ideas for cross-border investigations and for research on European topics. The stories must be relevant to European target groups.
Cross-border teams of professional journalists can apply for a grant to cover working time and/or expenses for their investigation.
Next to a grant, teams can also apply for a mentor to provide assistance with either the focus of the investigation or the need for competences in a specific skill.
Teams of journalists from at least two countries in geographical Europe are eligible to apply.
When relevant for the story, team members from elsewhere can be accepted too.
In 2021 there is a total grant budget of €200,000 to distribute over four application rounds.
The programme is currently supported by five foundations:
- Adessium Foundation
- Open Society Foundations
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation
- Fritt Ord
- King Baudouin Foundation
4 November 2021
There are four deadlines in 2021, the first three have passed.
- The fourth deadline is Thursday 4 November 2021 at 12 pm CET (noon Brussels time).
How to apply?
1. Before you start, please consult the grant details, where you can find the rules, eligibility and assessment criteria, timing etc.
2. After a one-time registration with your email address, you can access our online application form. You can freely navigate through the form to see which information you need to provide in your application. This includes:
- personal details of the team members
- information about the intended investigation
- information about the dissemination of your story
- a detailed budget
You will be asked to upload the following documents:
- copy of passport
- letter(s) of intent from (a) professional news outlet(s)
- a detailed budget (please use our budget template)
One team member can start a draft application. He or she can then invite multiple people to collaborate on the online draft. The online application-in-progress can be saved and further edited at any time.
Take a look at our FAQ. Next, we're always happy to discuss your project ideas or to answer any questions you might have about your application. So don't hesitate to contact us via phone or mail, or to make an appointment for a video call.