The Pascal Decroos Fund for Investigative Journalism is Journalismfund's first and oldest grant programme to promote investigative journalism in the Dutch-language media in Belgium since 1999. These are projects that have great news value and depth, and at the same time are original, innovative and time-consuming, and would not be realised without financial support. The Flemish government is subsidising this programme with the aim to keep the memory of Pascal Decroos alive and to continue his life's work.
We encourage starters as well as experienced journalists to apply.
The results of the research must be published in a Dutch-language medium in Belgium.
In 2024, there will be €280,000 to distribute over four application rounds, which means approx. €70,000 per round. The programme is subsidised by the Flemish government.
16 May 2024
For this grant programme there are 4 application rounds scheduled in 2024:
- The first application deadline: Thursday 01 February 2024 at 1 pm CET
- The second deadline: Thursday 16 May 2024 at 1 pm CET.
- The third deadline: Thursday 22 August at 1 pm CEST.
- The fourth deadline: Thursday 14 November at 1 pm CEST.
How to apply?
Before you start, please consult the grant details, where you can find the rules, eligibility criteria, timing etc.
You can easily apply via our online application form. You'll be asked to provide us with:
- personal details
- information about the project
- information about the dissemination of your story
- a detailed budget
Please make sure you have following documents at hand:
- copy of your ID (for Belgian residents) or passport
- letter(s) of intent of (a) Flemish media outlet(s) (for journalists with less than 2 years of experience this is not a formal requirement)
- a detailed budget (please use our budget template)
We're always happy to discuss your project ideas or to help you with your application in a personal way. So don't hesitate to contact us via phone or mail, or to make an appointment for a video call at a time of your convenience.
This is a new application platform; if you would encounter any problems or have remarks, please contact us. Your comments will certainly contribute to a better platform.