This awarded grant programme supports since 2009 professional journalists who have good ideas for cross-border investigations and for research on European topics. The stories must be relevant to European target groups.
Cross-border teams of professional journalists can apply for a grant to cover working time and/or expenses for their investigation.
Next to a grant, teams can also apply for a mentor to provide assistance with either the focus of the investigation or the need for competences in a specific skill.
Teams of journalists from at least two countries in geographical Europe are eligible to apply.
When relevant for the story, team members from elsewhere can be accepted too.
In 2021 there is a total grant budget of €200,000 to distribute over four application rounds.
The programme is currently supported by five foundations:
- Adessium Foundation
- Open Society Foundations
- Stavros Niarchos Foundation
- Fritt Ord
- King Baudouin Foundation
20 May 2021
There are four deadlines in 2021, the first has passed.
- The second deadline is Thursday 20 May 2021 at 12 pm CEST;
- The third deadline is Thursday 9 September 2021 at 12 pm CEST;
- The fourth deadline is Thursday 4 November 2021 at 12 pm CET.
How to apply?
Before you start, please consult the grant details, where you can find the rules, eligibility criteria, timing etc.
You can easily apply via our online application form. You'll be asked to provide us with:
- personal details
- information about the project
- information about the dissemination of your story
- a detailed budget
You will be asked to upload the following documents:
- copy of passport
- letter(s) of intent from (a) professional news outlet(s)
- a detailed budget (please use our budget template)
We're always happy to discuss your project ideas or to answer any questions you might have about your application. So don't hesitate to contact us via phone or mail, or to make an appointment for a video call.